Frequently Asked Questions
You are here:


I have just started up a business. Do I have to register with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)?

If your business is required to have workplace insurance, you must register with the WSIB within 10 calendar days of hiring your first part-time or full-time employee.


I am a self-employed electrician. I regularly do work for a company, but now they will not let me do any more work unless I give them a clearance certificate. How do I get one?

As a self-employed construction contractor without any workers, you must register with the WSIB and pay premiums, after which you will receive, your clearance certificate.


Costs & Audits

I run a manufacturing business. Do I have to pay the same high premium rate for my office staff as I do for the workers on the shop floor?

Yes, you do. Office staff is considered ancillary to your primary activity, so you must pay the same premiums on their wages. However, you may be able to segregate your payroll, and get part of your office staff into a lower premium group, if you employ staff in more than one rate group. Contact us for more information.


I run a family business and most of my workers are family members. Do I have to report their pay to the WSIB for premium calculation purposes?

Only the earnings of a company’s executive officers (such as the president, directors, treasurer, secretary and general manager) are exempt from premiums and, as a result, they do not have workplace insurance coverage. An employer must pay premiums on the insurable earnings of all of its other workers, including family members.


I was billed a $20,000 premium adjustment following an audit last month, and I can’t pay. What can I do?

Call the WSIB Collections Branch at 1-800-268-0929 and tell them about your problem. You can negotiate a repayment plan.


Accidents, Illnesses & Claims

My worker cut his hand. Do I have to report this to the WSIB?

Not if the cut only required first aid. If the worker needed medical treatment or went to a hospital, then you must report the accident to the WSIB within 7 business days of becoming aware of the injury.


My worker was injured on our loading dock when a delivery truck driver backed over my worker’s foot. What can I do?

If the owner of the delivery company is a Schedule 1 employer (most non-government employers), you can ask the WSIB to transfer your costs for this accident to the owner of the delivery company.


Return to Work & Re-employment

My worker has been off on a lost-time claim. I replaced him with someone I would really like to keep. Do I have to bring the injured worker back to work?

Employers have an obligation to co-operate in early and safe return to work. Many employers also have re-employment obligations. Breaching these duties can result in penalties. The specific facts of your case need to be considered.


My worker twisted his ankle a week ago and is still off work. He will not return my calls. What can I do to get him back to work?

Workers have a duty to co-operate in their early and safe return to work, including the duty to communicate with their employer. In this case, call and advise the adjudicator assigned to the claim that the worker is not co-operating in his return to work.



I don’t believe the worker was injured as he claimed. The WSIB granted him benefits. How do I object?

Complete and submit the WSIB’s Intent to Object form, ensuring the WSIB receives it within the time period stated in the decision letter.. If the Case Manager does not change his/her decision, the WSIB will mail you an Appeal Readiness Form (ARF). There are no time limits attached to completing the ARF, and you should only do so when you are genuinely ready to proceed with the appeal. If you are seeking formal representation in the appeal process, you should let the OEA or your representative complete the ARF for you.